In the previous blog on this topic, we covered how the enterprise mobility landscape has changed significantly over the last year and has now moved beyond mobile device management (MDM) to something having a much wider scope - Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). Enterprise File Sync and Share (EFSS) has become an integral part of enterprise mobility strategy as most of the use cases today revolve around remote access to enterprise content repositories and ability to edit, annotate and share the content from mobile devices whether company managed or employee-owned through Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD).
We suggested that the better approach is to secure corporate data (or content) and not the devices. Instead of controlling and managing the employee-owned devices, the idea should be to deliver and keep the content secure on end-user devices and control its use (within a secure container) to comply with corporate policies.
Vaultize is a great fit for your organization in accomplishing the security and data loss controls for EMM built in its file sharing and anywhere access platform:
- Securing data in-transit: Vaultize encrypts data at the source and decrypts only at the destination, ensuring that nobody can snoop it while it is in transit (this is in addition to SSL). While doing so, de-duplication is also performed at the source – which means less data to be transferred over the wire – making perfect sense for efficient mobility
- Secure data at-rest (or containerization): Vaultize keeps the corporate data in a secure and encrypted container on mobile devices – segregated from the personal data. This means there is no privacy breach possible and data movement across devices and apps is completely controlled by the IT team based on corporate policies
- Remote wiping of the container: In the event an employee leaves the organization or the device is lost or compromised, enterprise IT has the ability to remotely wipe the container – without touching the personal content – ensuring compliance with data loss prevention policies of the organization
- Authentication: Vaultize integrates with industry standard authentications like Active Directory (AD) and LDAP, and thus integrates seamlessly with corporate infrastructure
- Access controls including IP and geo-location: Enterprise mobility means that IT administrators must ensure seamless and secure access to data whether inside or outside the corporate network boundaries. Vaultize makes access controls and tracking possible through its patent-pending Access Control capabilities. IT administrators can define who has access to data, from which location and at what time. Access through IP and Geo fencing enhances the security of the files by making sure that the corporate contents are accessed only from the intended locations
- Control over the use of content (copy/paste, print, move to other app): IT must ensure that there is no data loss through copy/paste, print or moving the data to other mobile applications. Vaultize’s Mobile Content Management (MCM) capabilities allow IT to control the behavior of built-in editor (for MS office and PDF annotations) based on centralized policies on individual users or groups or at organization level
- Provide option for read-only access: Administrator can also decide to provide only read-only access on mobile devices to highly confidential files. Additionally, these files can be allowed to be viewed only through digital watermarks
- Application Whiltelisting: Vaultize mobile apps can interoperate with whitelisted apps to ensure that corporate contents are shared only through trusted applications
- Audit trails: Vaultize provides audit trails and detailed access tracking, ensuring complete visibility on the use of content on mobile devices
Demand for BYOD and consumer file sharing solutions like Dropbox, Box, Hightail will continue to raise compliance, security, and data loss concerns. As covered above, the Vaultize platform with integrated EMM capabilities provides customers – even in highly regulated and security conscious verticals – with all the administrative, security, privacy and policy controls needed to ensure a secure BYOD for access and sharing. Additionally, our EFSS can work in conjunction with MDM offerings from other vendors (like AirWatch, MobileIron, Good) in scenarios where the scope of device, application and content management is wider than just secure remote access, sync and sharing.