Today we announced the launch of Digital Rights Management (DRM aka Information Rights Management or IRM) becoming one of the very few enterprise file sync and share (EFSS) and mobile collaboration vendors to integrate rights management into the solution.
With the amount of information being shared within enterprises and businesses growing exponentially, corporate information is increasingly going to third-party devices. Employees are using freely available consumer solutions for file sharing, threatening enterprise IT with data loss, security threats and compliance risks. Bring-your-own-device (BYOD) has further increased this data movement, resulting in information security requirements to go beyond corporate perimeters. Enterprise IT is now realizing that security focused on just network, systems, device or data management is not enough.
Vaultize takes an information-centric (or document-centric) approach to security by ensuring that corporate information and data always stays in control of IT. It allows end-users to create, access, edit, annotate and share the documents irrespective of where they are (within as well as beyond the corporate fence) and independent of the device (PC, smartphone or tablet) they use – whether managed or unmanaged – just like any consumer solution. Hence, with Vaultize, productivity, efficiency, security and control go hand-in-hand.
Vaultize further enhances the security of corporate documents by embedding the rights management within the documents themselves through patent-pending Micro-containerization technology. The files shared across corporate fence are DRM encrypted such that they are only usable by the authorized recipients and within the authorized environment. Vaultize allows the document owner (and the corporate IT) to control the use of shared documents and manage (and even revoke) the permissions to open, view, download, print, copy-paste, forward and edit those documents. Vaultize DRM capabilities protect documents even after they are downloaded by the recipient on a device not under control of the company IT. In addition to the protection, the embedded DRM enables tracking and auditing of shared files wherever they go – independent of location, device and the user.
With Vaultize DRM, security and efficiency go hand-in-hand. Even with security features like document encryption based on DRM, the end-users require no training to incorporate this data in their regular workflow. The security, control and monitoring are transparent to end-user but are powerful enough to ensure end-to-end security, zero data leakage and compliance.
The key DRM features include:
- Access rights – provides control over who can view, edit, print, copy-paste, forward and download the documents or the information contained in them
- Location control - provides control over geo-locations and IP ranges from where the recipient can access the shared data
- Expiration – Document owner can set automatic expiration on the DRM-protected data. The expiration parameter can also be controlled by corporate IT through DRM policies
- Password – Password can be mandated for every sharing through predefined corporate policy. The document owner can also enforce the password. The recipient will be required to authenticate at the time of opening and/or downloading, as well as after the documents have been downloaded ensuring that the documents are usable only by authorized users
- Revoking rights – At any time, IT can remotely revoke the permissions/rights for accessing the shared documents, even after those are downloaded by a recipient on his own device
- Protect Content on Mobile Devices – Based on the Mobile Content Management (MCM) policy, the documents shared within the organization can be restricted to view-only access on mobile devices (iOS and Android) or can be restricted to controlled editing using a built-in editor for MS office and PDF annotation by controlling the copy-paste, printing and moving to other mobile apps
- Protect email attachments – Vaultize Outlook Plug-in can be used to automatically replace email attachments with DRM-protected links. This replacement can be controlled by the IT using policies based on attachment size, recipient domains etc.
- DLP Connector (with classification support) – Sensitive documents can be automatically DRM protected before being downloaded by scanning and classifying them through a DLP solution
- Secure Online Document Viewer – The viewing of shared documents by third-parties can be restricted to read-only access through a secure web-based online document viewer, with full IT control on printing, copy-paste and screenshots
- Digital Watermarking – With the online document viewer, watermarks (like logo or copyright texts) can be added to each page of the document to discourage printing, screen capture or photo capture. This watermarking has options for embedding text, image or email of share link recipient
- Watermarked downloads – Based on policy, downloads of shared files can be restricted to watermarked PDF
- Auto updates – The documents can be kept (based on the option at the time of sharing) in sync such that they are auto updated whenever the sender make changes
- File Types – The micro containerization allows control over all files types
- Tracking – The usage of a file is completely tracked such that an audit trail of activities like opening, sharing, viewing, editing, forwarding and printing is maintained at the level of file, individual user and location
Vaultize allows document owners, as well as corporate IT, to define the rights to govern how the shared documents can be used (open, view, edit, print, copy-paste, forward) by the recipients. The shared documents are processed through a patent-pending micro containerization technique that encrypts the data as if it is containerized within a secure envelope. DRM-protected documents can only be viewed through the Vaultize Rights Management Client (VRMC) software (freely downloadable and does not require administrative rights to install), which enforces the rights wherever the documents go. When a recipient attempts to open a DRM-protected document, the VRMC communicates with the Vaultize Rights Management Server to validate the user’s rights and credentials. Based on this, the document is presented in the native application with appropriate controls applied.
Download Our Free Whitepaper – Don’t Get Fired For ￼￼￼Critical Data Leaks: 6 Essentials For 100% Secure Enterprise File Sharing. Find Out What You Need To Do To Insure Zero Data Leakage!